Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Celebrating International Women's Day

Today is International Women's Day and we are "celebrating" it with sister missionaries for dinner. It is a girl's night- Sister Lynn,Sister Meier, my mother-in-law, Emma and I. We had curry beef, tofu, fried beans and chocolate cheesecake ( my first attempt to make it!). I enjoyed the food and conversation and my mother-in-law began to talk to sister missionaries in English already (great progress!). Today I am thinking what kind of woman I want to become and read this great talk by President Gordon B. Hinckley "How Can I Become the Woman of Whom I Dream?". Several years ago, I came to this country seeking for advanced education and academic success. Now besides the education I desired, I also found other amazing things: a faith for a lifetime, a family I could ever dream of. I had too many dreams like other girls and now I feel more grounded as a mom. I still feel I have all the potential to fulfill whatever I want to accomplish and am excited for all my dreams.
At last, I want to share the the ending of this wonderful talk and hope it inspires you as it did for me:
"For you, my dear friends, the sky is the limit. You can be excellent in every way. You can be first class....
Never forget that you came to earth as a child of the divine Father, with something of divinity in your very makeup. The Lord did not send you here to fail. He did not give you life to waste it. He bestowed upon you the gift of mortality that you might gain experience—positive, wonderful, purposeful experience—that will lead to life eternal. He has given you this glorious Church, His Church, to guide you and direct you, to give you opportunity for growth and experience, to teach you and lead you and encourage you, to bless you with eternal marriage, to seal upon you a covenant between you and Him that will make of you His chosen daughter, one upon whom He may look with love and with a desire to help. May God bless you richly and abundantly, my dear young friends, His wonderful daughters."

No comments:

Post a Comment